Captain Randy and Shelly
Why Do I Need a CYBA Accredited Yacht Charter Broker for my Vacation?
Updated: Dec 16, 2022
As a member of CYBA, the Charter Yacht Broker’s Association, we adhere to strict yacht charter booking protocols. We have access to the CYBA industry escrow account to protect your money.
Charter yacht crews do not have access to this account. If it is a busy yacht with lots of booking reservations, they are taking care of guests onboard and do not have time to answer travel questions.
This is what differentiates professionally licensed yacht brokers from crews booking charters.
It is not safe to send your hard-earned money directly to a business or yacht that is not accredited by a professional charter industry association to handle client funds. Always ask!
Your charter contract binds you to your broker for 2 years following your charter vacation.
Why Choose a Crewed Charter Vacation? You work hard all year, and now it’s time to play! If you are like most of us, you only have two or three weeks a year to relax and unwind, so this time is extremely valuable to you, and you don’t want to waste your hard earned money or your time.
The Benefits of using a CYBA Or MYBA Broker:
There are hundreds of charter yachts to choose from, but how to choose? One looks just as nice as the next, but is this what they really look like today, or what they looked like 5 years ago, when the photo was taken? Each yacht looks just as nice as the next but the accuracy and reliability of the photographs can not be authenticated (or trusted) from looking at them on the internet. And, what about the crew? Are they the kind of people that you’ll want to spend a week with? Will they be good with children, couples or your multi-generational vacation group?
These are very important questions which cannot be answered by looking at an Internet website, or browsing through online brochures. You need the advice of someone who has actually seen that yacht plus lots of others and met the crew so they can compare and help you find the best match. Such a person is called a Charter Yacht Broker and they can help you to compare yachts to find your very best choice. But, just like the boats, there are good brokers and not-so-good brokers. So, how do you choose the right one? Look for the CYBA seal of approval!
How to find a CYBA Broker?
Look for the CYBA logo in the broker’s advertisement or on their website, and ask the person that you talk with if they are a CYBA member.
Working with a CYBA member gives you assurance that you are dealing with a real charter professional who is registered & qualified to handle your money to book a yacht charter vacation.
The Crew's Expectation of the Broker's Role...and it should be yours too!
Requirements of a CYBA Active Member and Broker:
Each CYBA applicant must meet rigid membership requirements, including experience in the field, proper use of charter documents, ethical business practices, attendance at charter yacht shows to see yachts and meet the crews, and a review by his or her peers, prior to acceptance. CYBA members are also required to place your charter deposit in an independent escrow account, and to follow through with your charter arrangements after the yacht is chosen, to assure you of a fantastic vacation experience – probably the best you’ve ever had!
Important Comment from One of Our Clients:
A client recently commented, “I presume the stakeholder benefits from all interest gained on those monies, not the charterer?”
The Answer is NO, neither the stakeholder/yacht management company, owner of the yacht, nor broker benefit from the interest gained.
The Charter Yacht Brokers Association Board of Governors does good deeds in the community with the interest gained from deposited funds. One great example: The CYBA Board agreed to give monetary assistance to Virgin Island residents who were in great need after hurricanes Irma and Maria.
CYBA's Education Programs have raised the standards in the charter yacht community and they continue to encourage the local community of islanders to become more involved in marine trade.
Additionally, the Charter Yacht Brokers Association is leading a collaborative effort to reduce the use of plastic water bottles on charter yachts throughout the world. The “Going Green to Save the Blue Ocean” has made a big difference in how yachts operate by educating everyone to adhere to the use of reef safe products onboard as well as promoting the use of personal water bottles filled with fresh, sterile reverse-osmosis created drinking water during your vacation.
CYBA was established in 1982 with the concept of creating a support network for charter yacht brokers in order to support industry wide efforts for:
• Establishing and maintaining a strict code of ethics
• Establishing a higher level of fiduciary responsibility
• Improving industry standards.
• Use of CYBA Escrow Account to protect client funds using approved protocols.
CYBA members share the responsibility of continuing to foster and promote professionalism within the charter yacht industry:
• To continue to set higher standards
• To continue to provide educational programs
• To foster greater cooperation between brokers and others within the charter yacht industry
• To help develop new policies and procedures that benefit the charter yacht industry.
CYBA members are required to:
Meet extensive requirements to qualify for membership
Subscribe to CYBA’s strict code of ethics
Inspect yachts and interview crews regularly
Bottom Line Word of Advice:
Your best insurance is an involved, experienced and professional yacht charter broker to book your special vacation. Always check for the CYBA and/or MYBA logo!
About Us-Your Charter Yacht Brokers: Capt. Randy & Shelly Tucker!
We do not sell yachts like many other agencies so there is no conflict or distraction in our focus for your yacht charter. Our service is free to you. We travel extensively to boat shows and yacht charter shows year-round to personally view and inspect as many of the yachts as possible. 6 Reasons Why We are Qualified: 1. As Members of the Charter Yacht Brokers Association and the Virgin Islands Professional Charter Yacht League, we maintain contact with the yachts to keep abreast of the very latest information on crew/yacht conditions and new yachts entering the arena.
2. We stay on top of local and Federal Governments to keep informed about changes in our industry, as well as involve ourselves with the changes in the environment in which we offer charters.
3. We engage in open dialogue with local publications to help keep the government and the public aware of this important industry in our islands.
4. We attend multiple charter yacht industry shows in the Caribbean and Mediterranean, go aboard each of the yachts, meet the crews, attend association meetings and seminars. We'll happily share our notes about changes to the boats and crews and confirm any newly added features and upgrades as well as re-fits to the boat’s decor like new carpets, interior and exterior soft goods & fun new water toys. 5. As a seasoned charter yacht Owner & Crew, we have access to the "inner circle" and know all the insider facts.
6. We've developed a longtime friendship with vendors of services such as local taxi drivers, ferry companies, good places to stay on land, great restaurants, and much more.
Yacht Charters Guru is Accredited by the Following Professional Associations: